The Ton March into Final

Friday 6th June 2014 @ BCFC Training Ground, Wast Hills

Erdington and Saltley 6 – 2 Harborne

Team: Dermot; Alex, Michael, Leyton; Ramello, Ethan, Amari, Tyrese; Shilo – Subs: Kruize, Callum

Goals: Shilo x 4 and Amari x 2


This was our first game for a month and our first game since our heavy defeat to South Birmingham in the final of the Birmingham District Cup. The sun was blazing and Birmingham City FC had kindly offered us the use of their superb facilities…everything was perfect! Having already made history by reaching the semi-final of the Burton Shield, the lads were determined to go even further in their attempt to win a historic treble.

With the game barely ten minutes old, we had managed six or seven super attacks and shost on the Harborne goal. Despite being in control, we knew the game was delicately poised at 0-0 and the first goal was vitally important. It turned out to be an amazing goal too! Amari cut in from the left and unleashed a worldy of a shot from outside of the area that looped over the keeper. Amari’s partner in crime for much of the season has been Shilo and the young Villa forward got in on the action scoring a smart finish on the turn. Obviously my memory is not what it used to be and I can’t really remember the goals, although I know it was 4-0 at half time – both Shilo and Amari scoring two apiece. What I do remember is that Alex cleared a superb goal bound shot off the line following a brave save from Dermot. Plus Michael was imperious in defence, breaking up play and bursting forward at every opportunity. More pleasing was the nature of our team play. Previously in the season we have been guilty of playing as individuals, to the detriment of the team and ultimately the end result. However, our first half performance yesterday was almost perfect and one that was built on a foundation of teamwork and team spirit. Brilliant!

The second half started with a bang when Shilo scored his hat-trick goal within 10 seconds of the restart! I missed the goal because I was trying to get the stopwatch to start! I simply heard the thump of the ball hitting off the underside of the woodwork! The St. Matthew’s striker scored his forth following good work from Ramello and a goal mouth scramble. To their credit, the Harborne boys refused to throw the towel in and scored two goals of their own, playing some great football in the process. Once again the lads played great football and worked as a team, even if we got a little shot-happy in the last five minutes.

Tonn and myself couldn’t be prouder of the effort, skill and flair that was on show, as well as the fact that every single player gave 110% throughout the whole match. If we can replicate this effort in the final, we’ll be sure to give Wolverhampton a much tougher game than we did in our last meeting.

Man of the Match: Despite scoring four goals, I’m going to have to give Michael the Man of the Match for his swashbuckling attacking play and fearless defending. It was a great return to form for the St. Margaret and Mary’s player and one cross field ball to Shilo sticks in the mind!

Well done lads, what a team!

Up The Ton!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: